Alice and Bob believe the universe was created by the Great-Universe-Creating-Thingy (GUCT). According to Alice and Bob’s faith GUCT is ineffable and cannot be described nor understood. The GUCT is eternal and beyond time and space. It is powerful and wicked smart. Also the Great-Universe-Creating-Thingy is blue.
Alice and Bob use the famous, unassailable and air tight Shazam Cosmological Argument to prove the Great-Universe-Creating-Thingy created the universe.
1) Whatever begins to exist has a cause;
2) The universe appears to have begun to exist;
3) The universe has a cause.
1) The universe has a cause;
2) If the universe has a cause, then an uncaused, ineffable Creator … um Thingy of the universe exists that sans the universe is outside of time and space, powerful and wicked smart. It would also help if it were blue;
3) An uncaused, ineffable Great-Universe-Creating-Thingy exists, that sans the universe is outside of time and space, powerful and wicked smart. Also clearly blue in color.
- Are you convinced by this argument that the Great-Universe-Creating-Thingy created the universe?
- What flaws do you see in this argument?
- Does the blueness of the Great-Universe-Creating-Thingy seem arbitrary?
- How is the Great-Universe-Creating-Thingy different than your tradition’s explanation for the beginning of the universe?
This post is in the series Thought Experiments for Believers.